Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Lifting weights like a boss...

I used to hate lifting weights. I dreaded it every time my personal trainers or coaches of the past would make me do it. I'm pretty accepting of the fact that I have zero upper body strength. Or I was.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

See that ticker up there? It's for the Warrior Dash I'll be doing on April 21st with my boss, Nicki. If you click on that Warrior Dash link up there, you'll see that without upper body strength (and strength in general) you're SCREWED. I'm going to have to climb over walls, jump over fire, crawl around in mud and generally just question why I paid to do this crap for an hour or so. It's gonna be fun. 

To increase my strength, I've been following this book: The New Rules of Lifting for Women. I love the program. I haven't really paid enough attention to the diet plan, and I slacked off a bit in the lifting as of recently, BUT, when I was doing the lifting, I fell in love. 

When I used the squat rack for the first time, I was a bit miffed. In fact, a personal trainer at the Y came over and said "here, let me show you" - and thank God he came over, because I looked like a moron. I always thought squat racks were for men, but no more! Squats and deadlifts aren't fun by any means, but I love how empowered I feel when I do them. And my legs will start looking sexy soon!

The great thing about this book/program is that it literally lays it all out there for you. For 8 weeks, you do one phase with two different exercises that you rotate every other workout. It tells you exactly which ones to do for which workout, tells you when to add reps/weight and basically just makes it easy. You can run through a strength workout in about 20 minutes (possibly less) - and you get a good workout from it. You only have to work out 3 days a week and you really do see results. 

Today will be my first day back to NROL4W and I'm excited. I've got a Warrior Dash to prepare for!

No comments:

Post a Comment