Friday, January 27, 2012

Beat the workout music blahs...

I love to dance, groove, sing, whatever. I do this all of the time. I'm actually pretty awesome at dancing as this pic from my dear friend Leah's wedding will clearly show you --->

Good lord, I've got mooooooves. The chick in the leather jacket? She's one of my best friends from back home, Jessica. (She is the reason I started losing weight and running in the first place and she's the one who introduced me to spray butter. I love you, Jemsey.)

Anyhoo, back to the task at hand, people, we're talking about TUNES! In this post from October, when I first started running, I had a symphony of awesome tunes come through my headphones - as if by magic - keeping me going just a little while longer. Everyone has those songs that pump them up and will always put them in a good mood.

When I was doing my half-marathon, at about 1.5 miles in, "Jacob's Ladder" by Huey Lewis and the News came on. While I know it's not like a super "I'M GONNA PUMP YOU UP!" song, something about the chorus "Step by step, one by one, higher and higher, step by step, rung by rung, climbing Jacob's ladder" - it got me going. I guess because at that time, I was literally stepping and going one by one. Whatever, it helped. I zoned out - I felt pumped up - it was on.

Some songs recently that have come on while I was running that really got me singing along and just enjoying the moment were:

Billie Jean - Michael Jackson
Wannabe - The Spice Girls
Livin on a Prayer - Bon Jovi
It's Gonna be Me - NSync
Joy to the World - 3 Dog Night
Stronger - Kelly Clarkson (okay, not classic or nostalgic, but this song is catchy!)
PYT - Michael Jackson
New York Groove - Ace Frehley
Don't Stop Believing - Journey
Master of Puppets - Metallica

Of course, there were more, but these were the ones that came to mind from recent runs. Do you have a song that randomly pumps you up like nothing else? A special Pandora station or internet radio station perhaps? Tell me about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment