Sunday, August 14, 2011

It's the little things...

I'm a big believer in the power of little changes. I've made lots of small modifications to my daily life that, looking back, were seriously no big deal. It's really about making smart choices. When I make a better choice, I get a little feeling of pride and typically text my husband or some of my more motivational friends so I can get a virtual "pat on the back." I'm a total attention whore, but without cheerleaders, I would still be noshing on chips instead of apples and would probably be busting out of my size 16 clothes. Yeah - I've been wearing a size 16. I'm 5'11 - which I guess helps a bit, but seriously. 16 is too big of a number. I haven't been a single digit since like 8th grade, so I'm not too worried about getting into an 8 or anything, but a 12 would be nice. =)

Anyway, back to these little changes and smart choices. When I walked out of the house this afternoon, I was SO tempted to just grab a can of coke and a bag of chips and head out the door with my mother-in-law. My hand was literally moving towards the coke - and I said out loud "No! Just drink some damn water" and I went and made myself a bottle of water. Then, instead of going to the pantry to get chips, I made a ziploc bag of grapes to take as my snack.

IT FELT SO GOOD. I can't even explain how proud of myself I was. I know it sounds stupid, but for someone who is a salty food addict and a slave for convenience...well, making a bottle of ice water and steering clear of the chips and eating fruit instead was a decision that I didn't want to make. BUT I DID IT!

I wish I literally got a gold star every time I make a good choice. Something about shiny things always makes you feel good. I also think Brian should increase the amount of sparkly things I own...preferably white gold however. (Does anyone else appreciate the fact that I just started my Christmas requests in August...and in my blog? I'm a loser)

Anyway, my workouts are coming along nicely. I did my first day of "5K Runner" the free iPhone app for starting out a couch 2 5k program. I didn't die! YAY!

<------ Proof!

I even walked an extra 5 minutes before just because I knew it was a 25 minute workout. I'm not gonna lie, I'm proud of that too. Dammit. I'm proud of me in general. I just need to keep it up!

I haven't really noticed a big weight loss, but I HAVE noticed that some of my clothes are getting bigger. However, when I was trying on clothes today, of course there were still things that I wanted to fit that didn't, but hey! I'm headed in the right direction at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment